The Founder’s Memorial Hosts ‘Sheikh Zayed: A Century of Memories’ Exhibition
Exhibition from ‘Lest We Forget’ gathers personal artefacts and stories from and UAE citizens and residents that reflect the strong bonds they shared with the father of the nation
Abu Dhabi, UAE, 13 December 2018: The visitor experience at The Founder’s Memorial, a permanent national tribute commemorating the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, (May Allah rest his soul in peace) has been complemented with the launch of enlightening exhibition. ‘Sheikh Zayed: A Century of Memories’ brings together a collection of unique artefacts and personal stories contributed by UAE citizens and residents in an affectionate homage to the father of the nation. The launch of the exhibition was accompanied a book launch of a publication that carries the title of the exhibition
The exhibition and book have been created by ‘Lest We Forget,’ a community-based initiative under the auspices of the Salama bint Hamdan Al Nahyan Foundation. Lest We Forget aims to archive, research and share photographs, artefacts and oral histories of the UAE through exhibitions and publications.
‘Sheikh Zayed: A Century of Memories’ gathers many of the community’s treasured memories of Sheikh Zayed, together with associated photographs and artefacts. The items on display provide visitors with moving insights into the close relationships Sheikh Zayed cultivated with his people, and highlight the mutual fondness and respect of the people for their visionary leader. The memories related how Sheikh Zayed demonstrated his support of the people and inspired a nation. The collective memories depict a portrait of Sheikh Zayed, a unique person and great humanitarian.
‘Sheikh Zayed: A Century of Memories’ is hosted in the memorial’s Welcome Centre for six months as part of the ongoing ‘Year of Zayed’ initiative to mark the centenary of the founding father’s birth. The exhibition creates moments of quiet reflection through a display of artefacts on loan from the local community that they associate with Sheikh Zayed, such as a keepsake from a personal encounter or a family photograph taken with or of the beloved leader. Each item is accompanied by a short account from the lender explaining its personal significance.
Visitors are also invited to explore The Founder’s Memorial with complimentary guided tours from Emirati Cultural Guides, which will help to deepen their understanding of Sheikh Zayed’s timeless wisdom and noble values through art, nature, words, stories and rich multimedia experiences.
The Founder’s Memorial is free to the public and open daily from 9:00am to 10:00pm. For more information, please visit www.thefoundersmemorial.ae and follow @FounderMemorial on Facebook and Instagram, and The Founder’s Memorial on YouTube. The Lest We Forget book, ‘Sheikh Zayed: A Century of Memories’, will be on sale at Warehouse421.
About The Founder’s Memorial
Established as a permanent national tribute to Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, The Founder’s Memorial commemorates the UAE’s founding father, celebrating his enduring vision and honouring his timeless legacy as a guiding star for the nation. Featuring a series of personal encounters with Sheikh Zayed, the memorial invites visitors to embark on a journey of discovery through the late leader’s life and legacy, by enriching understanding of his character, the causes he championed, and the values he voiced to the UAE and the world. At the heart of the reflective space is The Constellation, a monumental artwork featuring a dynamic three-dimensional portrait of Sheikh Zayed that offers a series of evolving experiences of his image. Located at the corner of Corniche Road and 18th Street along The Corniche in Abu Dhabi, the 3.3-hectare space provides a place of gathering where the UAE community can explore, contemplate and find moments of pause, while enabling international audiences to learn more about Sheikh Zayed, the man and the leader. The Founder’s Memorial was launched in 2018 to coincide with the national Year of Zayed, marking the 100-year anniversary of Sheikh Zayed’s birth, and opened to the public in April 2018.
- Insightful cultural tours in the Founder’s Memorial on" Emirati Women’s Day"
- "Majlis Baniyas" Delegation Visits the Founder's Memorial
- The Founder's Memorial Marks "Earth Hour"
- The Founder’s Memorial Reports on Successful First Year of Operations
- Wife of US Vice President visits ‘The Founder’s Memorial’
- Mohamed bin Zayed tours The Founder's Memorial
- Afghan President visits The Founder's Memorial
- Prime Minister of the Republic of Guinea visits The Founder's Memorial
- South Korean Defense Minister visits The Founder's Memorial
- The Founder's Memorial, celebrates the legacy of Sheikh Zayed during the forty-seventh national day of the UAE, with the participation of a wide range of visitors from all cultures
- Founder's Memorial holds educational tours highlighting tolerance, coexistence
- Bulgarian Prime Minister visits Founder's Memorial
- The Founder’s Memorial Hosts ‘Sheikh Zayed: A Century of Memories’ Exhibition
- The Founder’s Memorial Set to Open on Sunday 22 April
- The Founder’s Memorial to be Inaugurated 26.02.18
- Mohamed bin Zayed names ‘The Founder’s Memorial’
- Memorial established to commemorate Sheikh Zayed